The Fire Museum is based in a purpose built building at Watford Fire Station on Lower High Street (behind Tesco's and virtually opposite Watford Museum).
Two ex-fire officers, Roger Middleton and Ian Strudwick, look after the following:
An 1850s manual hand pump from Barley near Royston
A 1960s 50ft steel Merryweather escape, carried on the 1984 Dennis Water Tender Escape fire applicance based at Watford until 1994
An 1863 manual hand pump from the Tring Park Estate
An 1896 Shand-Mason horse-drawn steam fire pump, ex-London Fire Brigade
A 1900s hose cart, on loan from Watford Museum
A 1937 Leyland open-bodied pump escape, based at St Albans until the 1960s
A 1942 Dennis No.2 trailer pump, from Berkhamstead
A Second World War Scammell wheelbarrow pump
There is also a substantial collection of various items of fire service equipment, uniform and documents (old and new), with a large and varied photographic display of fire appliances, fire/incident scenes and local fire history.
We are always on the lookout for Fire Brigade memorabilia that deserves a good home and is perhaps currently gathering dust in a shed or attic. We can be contacted by email: email@example.com or by calling at the museum on Open Days.
The fire museum is open for 2023 on the following days:
The museum is open from 1pm - 4pm.
There is limited parking at the rear of the museum, but no parking on 2 September 2023.